Oh I am so proud of what I churned out today for lunch :) We are having a pot luck and I offered to make the main.
This "layer rice" is also notoriously called Vegetable Biryani. However I would like to keep it the way it is ;) Layer Rice.
Vegetable Layer RiceOh I am so proud of what I churned out today for lunch :) We are having a pot luck and I offered to make the main. This "layer rice" is also notoriously called Vegetable Biryani. However I would like to keep it the way it is ;) Layer Rice.pinksocks
For the rice-
Basmati Rice (Soak for 30min)
. Boiling water
For the vegetables-
Cubed carrots (I didn't add, as I didn't have any)
Dried mint or fresh mint leaves. or 2 sprigs
Curd (a little sour is good)
Almond-Khus Khus seeds paste (Make it with a few tbsp of curd)
. Red chilly powder
Browned Onion slices (fried)
Saffron soaked in warm water.
- To the boiling water, add the bay leaves, pepper corns, shahi jeera, ghee and cardamoms.
- Add the rice and salt. Let it cook for 15-17 min or until they are a little short of being fully cooked.
- Drain it in a colander and keep aside.
- In a wok, heat the oil. Add jeera, cardamoms and bay leaves.
- Add the vegetables and methi with little water.
- Cover and cook the veggies until they still have a bite. We dont want them to be over done.
- In the curd, mix the spices, some fried onion and the almond khus khus paste.
- Mix the curd with the veggies that are still warm.
- Let it sit for about 10-12 min.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add a layer of half the rice and put a sprinkle of garam masala, saffron, ghee and some brown onions.
- Layer the veggies on top of this.
- Now cover them with the remaining rice and add the ghee, saffron, garam masala and onions.
- Before serving, put it in the lowest temperature setting of the microwave to heat everything through.
- Serve with raita and salan.