I often get super super worked up when I have not planned what to make for lunch. Since we both work and I do all the cooking in the house, I wake up early and finish all of it before the pati is up.
Since I was tired of all the cabbage and cauliflowers, I decided to make mom's special. Chana Dal with Lauki/Ghiya/bottle gourd.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil.
- Add the hing, jeera and rai.
- Once the rai splutters, add the tomato, salt, green chillies/red chilly powder and haldi.
- Cook it well until the tomatoes soften.
- Now add the lauki and chana dal (minus the soaking water)
- Stir them around in the spices.
- Now add the water and close the lid.
- Once the first whistle comes, reduce the heat to medium and let it cook for 10 min.
- Turn off the gas and let the pressure drop.
- Once it is done, open the lid and add the lemon juice as per taste.
- Serve hot with roti or bhakri.