Divya Pramil of You too can cook Indian Food fame came up with the wonderful idea of recipe exchange where two teams challenge each other with their authentic recipes. The teams get a month’s time to prepare the recipe and post on their spaces. October month’s challenge was posed by Shruti on behalf of Northern team and Divya Prakah on behalf of Southern Team.
This is the 2nd event of the series and I am posing this month’s challenge on behalf of the Northern team. Am glad to present to you Gulab Jamuns. I adapted this recipe from Vikas Khanna’s recipe and trust me it is lip-smacking. I would love to thank Shruti and Sheelu for standing by for the event. You guys rock.
SNC#2- North Team challenge- Gulab Jamun.
- Sift the milk powder, maida, semolina and baking powder.
- To this, add the ghee and mix well. Now add the cream, first add only 2 tbsp, and make soft dough out of it. Add another tbsp if you feel it is dry.
- Bring the dough together and with a palm greased with ghee make a ball and place in a bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it sit for 20-30 min.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, make the sugar syrup. Bring the sugar and water to the boil. Make sure the sugar dissolves completely. Add the gulab jal/rose water. Keep it aside till further use.
- Make small balls out of the dough. In a wok pour sufficient oil that can immerse the dough balls completely. Heat the oil on full flame. Once it smokes, reduce the flame to medium. After the smoke disappears, add one dough ball first. If it turns black instantly, you must reduce the flame to low-medium. We are looking for an inviting brown color on the dough balls.
- You may fry 2-3 at a time depending on the size of the wok. But be sure to constantly rolling the balls in the oil so that they get an even color.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep on a kitchen paper. Now they are ready to meet the syrup that makes it a marriage made in heaven.
- Lower them in the syrup and keep them immersed until further use.
- In a small bowl, mix the dried coconut flakes, pistachio and cardamom powder.
- To serve, put a few pieces of the gulab jamun, some syrup and the coconut-pistachio mix on top. Serve with love.
- Be very careful while frying.
- You may also add cashews and almond slivers as a garnish.